Saturday, August 21, 2010

In Record Time

It took only ten minutes - a new record...
Jordan went and picked up Matt Hickens truck - a nice Dodge Ram that Matt is letting Jordan borrow all next week while Lexi is here. Mainly for transportation, as we only have two cars for the family - but also for 'coolness' while his girl is here!!!
Mark Roberts is in town too, with his wife Alison. He had called earlier in the day and the gang, Mark, Jordan and Ricky, were going to do some hanging out. That ALWAYS means more than just 'hanging out' - something ALWAYS happens - it's just a matter of time - inevitable!
I could have used a stop watch for accuracy but I'm pretty sure it was within ten minutes of being with Mark that the phone call came. Jordan had gone over to Mark's in Matt's truck - he had to be cool for Mark too who has his own truck.. anyways, Jordan calls. Seems they've been in an accident - in the truck. (heart drops TO THE GROUND). Jordan pauses ON PURPOSE before saying 'Mark's truck', knowing I was cha-chinging, in my head, all the money we were going to owe Matt Hicken the rest of our lives...(Jordan thought that was funny - NOT).
Mark's parents are gone to a wedding reception, so I get the call to come out and help. Of course, upon arriving, Mark gives me a big hug and the joking begins about old times. Of course, I'm thinking that there is no such thing as 'old times' when it's still happening!!!
Appears an older lady ran a red light right in front of Mark and he hits her on the side - nothing too bad on the truck, but the ladies car is ruined. mark and Jordan get to work on the truck, trying to bend out the wheel well so that Mark can turn the truck both ways and the truck won't need to be towed. A call comes from Mark's dad who had finally called Mark back and I giggle as I over hear the conversation and explanation Mark gives to 'Elder Roberts', or Jonathan, as we know him. I can hear Jonathan laughing as the facts of the scenario are detailed - ' Of COURSE you're with Jordan...of COURSE it's only been ten minutes, of COURSE no-one is hurt, no-one EVER gets hurt...) side note- Mark STILL has a 'BB' in his hand from one incident and Jordan STILL has a scar on his side from a bottle rocket incident...but no-one every REALLY gets hurt..
So, after watching the two of them for over 30 minutes, interact and reminisce about old times, while trying to get the truck DRIVE ABLE, I finally leave to come home while they go to get dinner. I had to laugh as I watched them, remembering the last time I saw the two of them on the ground underneath a vehicle of any sort, there were 'firecrackers' involved. Not one of their most brilliant moments. It included a 3rd Eagle Scout too - I still just shake my head at the adventurous lack of common sense those boys had...or DIDN'T have.
Needless to say, I grounded the boys for the rest of their time here together. When I noticed that they're smirking meant that they had already made other plans, I just sighed, gave them 'the look' and said, 'Just try not to kill anyone', and I left them to their giggles.
I try to remain calm whenever 'the amigos' hang out. I know there will be fun, adventures and of course, new memories and stories to tell. I keep hoping they will 'outgrow' this lack of common sense and adventure they seem to display - harmless fun - stupidity - Two of them have wives now, for Pete's sake - the other one, Jordan, is the butt of all jokes and needs the wife the most.
But, I don't see much changing over the next few years or so. I think what needs to happen is parenthood. They need to have children. I think they need to experience some of the worry and stress that Jonathan, Bev, Del and I have been experiencing over the past 8 years. That's the ONLY thing I can really see maybe subduing some of their 'need for speed'.
My only fear? It would give them just one more person to tag along with them on their adventures!!! Hopefully, though, their wives would set some boundaries for them.
Yeah. Like THAT has ever worked before!!!

1 comment:

Dana said...

I have to admit I was holding my breath reading your post! I'm glad everyone is OK :)