Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Missed Opportunity

So, I was to become an 'empty nest er' in a couple of weeks, but it's not to be. At first it was going to be Jordan here for a year, earning money to go back to school and Kathryn would be gone. Now, it's Jordan who will be leaving in 3 weeks to go off to school and it will be Kathryn staying home. Not because of money, although she has not yet earned her portion of the school expenses; but because she is not ready and worthy to go off to BYU Idaho according to the Honor Code.
Sad. I'm just really sad...for all of us. I'm sad for Kathryn that she has missed this chance to move on in life and do what she hoped to do away from home. But, these choices she continues to make and life she has continued to live will not merit her attending the Lord's school...not yet.
Sad for me and Del. I was so excited to have time with Del - just me and Del. Quiet alone time - another missed opportunity. Yes, I know it will come eventually, but I was ready for it NOW. But now, I have to wait.
So I'm sad.
Today, Kathryn started being trained as an assistant at my orthodontic office. The ladies there understand that Kathryn will be staying home now and so they have taken it upon themselves to train her to do more things at the office. I'm glad. It gives her a more sense of worth, and she needs that. She's pretty much at the bottom of the barrel right now and so she needs to pull herself up and get herself busy to try and prepare herself to possibly be ready to go off to school in 8 months or so. She will only have work and home to cling to, so I'm hoping that's enough for her to live off of. She's pretty much stripped of everything else.
This will be a rough 8 months . A refiners fire for us all. I just hope the flames don't become too hot and the burn isn't too intense that none of us survive it.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

As parents, we just wish that we could make our children's choices for them, then everyone would be happy...except for the children of course. It is not to be evidently. So we try to accept and hope that they learn something along the way to their refining. Sometimes it takes longer than we like it to...
Hang in there.