Saturday, January 29, 2011

It's "JIMMERTIME"

I've been a BYU fan for literally 45 + years.
My older brother Paul says I would listen to BYU sports when I was in kindergarten.
And then when technology progressed and college sports finally got big on tv, I would watch whatever was available.
I've pretty much been consumed with sports my whole life, basically being raised as a 5th boy after four older brothers. I love sports.
But it wasn't until 1978, when I graduated from high school, that I zeroed in specifically on BYU and no other college. I was, after all, on my way to the Y a day after I walked my high school graduation ceremony and I was feeling the college spirit.
My first semester at BYU had the all time famous Marc Wilson as starting quarterback but then in came Jim McMahon, who ended up taking BYU to the now ever famous Holiday Bowl, aka, The Miracle Bowl. Danny Ainge was an All American on the basketball team and made us famous in the last 8 seconds, going the length of the court for a game winning lay up against Notre Dame. And so it went, year after year after year at BYU, producing the occasional stand out who went pro in their designated sport...Steve Young, Ty Detmer, Devin Durrant, Greg Kite, Fred Roberts, Kelly Poppinga, VIa Sikahima, Junior Mahe, Brandon Doman, Max Hall and my all time favorite - Austin Collie. Of course, there are MANY others, all of which I can't remember right now, but only because right now, my focus is on only one man....
Jimmer Fredette....if you bleed blue, or have ever bled blue in the past, you know who Jimmer Fredette is. And at this point, if you follow college basketball at all, you have heard the name Jimmer Fredette. In fact, if you live in the United States and have turned your tv channel to Sports Center, you have heard of Jimmer Fredette. And one more past that...even if you haven't turned your tv channel to Sports Center but you've watched the National news, you have heard of Jimmer Fredette. AND if you haven't, you just don't matter....Only one event in the sports world is being discussed more than that of Jimmer Fredette right now...and that would be The Super Bowl, scheduled for play this Sunday. Otherwise, Jimmer is...the man.
He's a senior at BYU - his story is sweet - his shots are sweeter...all American sweetheart of basketball. Yeah, I'm in awe - of his talent, humility and skill...huge crush. I'm loving his games along with the rest of the nation. So cool to turn to ANY and ALL sports channels and hear every commentator throwing his name around - comparing all players and teams to him and BYU...fun to hear the three point shot called 'Jimmer range' - his moves called 'Jimmer style' and his gametime called 'Jimmertime'. We're a sports world obsessed with Jimmer Fredette.
And I love it.
And it's time....
today's game starts right now...
It's Jimmertime....

BAHAHA - P.S. Before posting this entry, I pressed spell check to check all mis-spellings - HAHAHA - over 30 corrections to be made...apparently, BLOG has not been watching SPORTS CENTER - it's never heard of Jimmer Fredette...
Love it!

P.S.S. - Even with Jimmer having a 32 point game, BYU suffers a loss...ouch. Hard to get over those...:(

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE your new picture! You look like a beautiful lady bug-hee! Stunning!

Debbie said...

I canNOT believe you spelled TY Detmer's name wrong. Oh heavens. And you missed THE best BYU player of all time: JIM ROBERTS!!! How could you have MISSED that one?! :) Go Jimmer!

Lott's Wife said...

I was typing really fast Debbie!!!! Game was going to start - I have, in the meantime, now corrected my foolish error...Funny thing - for my 30th birthday, Del gave me the life size Heisman Trophy winner poster of Ty in his tux, cleats tossing the football...Was on the back of my bedroom door for YEARS!!! Went to bed every night looking at him..I was VERY happy...love you JIM!!!