Monday, November 26, 2012

Landed on My Butt in the Briar Patch

Friday was my day off...and it became a very busy day off.  I ended up going over to Kylie's to inform her of the news that her father and I were getting her and Mike a new baby crib and chest of drawers for baby Madison.  The previous plan had been to take a used crib that we currently have and also a chest of drawers given to us by friends, paint them white, and let Kylie have those for Madison's new room.  But, Kathryn also has possession of those two items and I felt that as a mother, I was giving more importance to one daughter's needs than the other.  So instead, I came up with the new plan, which was found appropriate by Del and exciting for Mike and Kylie.  I was thrilled too.
While I was at Kylie's house, Mike was in the kitchen playing Betty Crocker, making a yummy yellow cake.  He came in the office a few times and would ask us a question...like, 'what will happen if I only have 2 eggs and the recipe calls for three?' - and once, he came in with a 9X13 cake pan and a measuring tape and before he could even ask the question, I assured him that he had the correct pan.
It was at this exact time, that Kylie had just finished ordering the new crib and dresser online and we were talking about how there would be some 'assembly required'.  I reassured her that dad would be available to take care of anything she needed and caught Mike's look of 'what am I? Chopped liver? I had to laugh as Kylie tried to comfort Mike saying he would certainly be needed to help, but it didn't do much good as Mike pouted, and while stomping off said, 'Don't mind me...I'll just go finish making my cake.'  What a man!!!  I laughed so hard that in the throwing back of my head in laughter, I hit my head on the bookshelf behind me...the bookshelf DAD had made them.  Mike said I deserved it.  I probably did.
I had Kylie dress and go with me into town to buy some other things for Madison's new room - letters, crib sheet, material, paint and a few other things for projects we still needed to get finished; then I went home pooped. 
Del and I were planning on going to the movies...so were Mike and Kylie...so, of course, we all decided to go together.  Before we went though, Del decided he wanted me to go out into our back acre of the woods and look at some possible Charlie Brown tree's for our house.  I was still huffing and puffing over the decision we were making to for-go the Hobby Lobby tree and go for sentiment instead.  But I thought if I was going to get on board with this decision, I better make sure we found the best Charlie Brown tree out there.
Del was showing me several dead trees that we were going to need to chop down and then take the chain saw to.  He kicked over a few and then even pulled a few over to the ground...so I tried to be his equal.  I found this one dead tree, fairly small trunk and only about 6 feet tall that I attempted to push over.  I soon realized that 'pushing' was not achieving the desired results so I then decided to PULL towards me with all the strength I could muster.  Apparently, it was sufficient as I felt the tree give and sent me flying right on my butt into a patch of thorns and stickers.  I knew it must have looked HILARIOUS as the look on Del's face was one of stifled laughter mixed with genuine concern for my comfort.  He helped me up and then took full advantage of the permission I granted him to laugh.  He roared!!!
Of course, as soon as he could breathe again, he was anxious to check me from head to toe, seeing a few bleeding scratches and cuts...and POKIES...I had pokies all over my hands and left arm.  And as the evening progressed, more of them surfaced on other parts of my body making me look like I had been attacked out in the woods.  I only WISH it had been that exciting.  It made for a great story later that evening when we picked Mike and Kylie up for our date night...and of course, as Del shared THAT story, Mike saw fit to share my earlier adventure at HIS house when I smacked my head on the book shelf.  All in all, I was once again, the evenings 'entertainment'.
I aim to please.

No comments: