Sunday, December 7, 2014

A New Special Tradition

It was just us.  No little grandchildren running around or our kids teasing each other with snide and jabbing remarks.  It was just us.
Me and Del.  Softly playing Christmas music as we set up our new Christmas tree we purchase at Target last week. It's a pretty tree - a little different with some flocking.  I went days without buying ornaments because I just didn't know what I wanted yet. Choosing Christmas ornaments is an important decision, because they are the ornaments you will have for years to come.  And this was our year to purchase.  I had been using the same ornaments for 15 years - soft pink and sage green.  And I have loved them for the full 15 years we had them.  But it was time for a change in all things.
While listening to the music and setting up the tree, I asked Del if he was enjoying himself - having fun.  I was...in a different from the past kind of way.  I found it sweet that Del and I were doing it together - alone, in the quiet.  But as he expressed what I was feeling, we were missing the excitement of our own children and our grandchildren.  We missed the kids.
A few days after we had the tree up, I chose the color scheme I wanted to have - red and gold - with ivory as the accent ribbon.  I finished the decorating while Del was at the church doing tithing settlement.  When he came home, he expressed how pleased he was with what I had chosen. Over the following days, I finished decorating the home - with touches of lights and Christmas on the front porch, in the entry way inside, on the fireplace mantel and on the piano.
It's warm...cozy, inviting and soft.  I keep the lights dimmed for ambiance - it's exactly what I love.
I love coming home from work, every day, to the warmth and comfort of my home.  It's peaceful and quiet.  I'm able to feel the spirit quickly and often.  It's nice to feel and share that with Del.  And I'm realizing that when the kids and grandkids come over, the laughter, giggles, joy and happiness we experience is enjoyed and cherished.  But I am also enjoying the peace and quiet after everyone leaves.  I love both...A new stage of life.
A new normal..a new time for us.

No comments: