Saturday, December 13, 2014

Someone Has Been REALLY Good This Year

This is the 'Loser Cruiser'.  We've had her for almost 12 years, the last 2 of which she has been on her 'last leg'.  Poor thing has taken us through 4 moves, 3 of my children and over 200,000 miles.  I have loved driving her for the time she was still young and healthy, but her last few years have been under the watchful care of Del's eyes.  He's neglected her - Del has been trying to ride her on her last leg for a good 2-3 years - and felt that because he needed her, she would remain faithful and true to him.  But, he neglected her. And this past Monday was the last straw.  He took her into the rear - end of the car in front of him. Not hard enough to total her out, BUT, hard enough that she's done.
So today, we took her to Service King, where she barely drove in on her own; coughing and sputtering and giving her last breath.
The debate over the past two years has been, do we get me a new SUV, something small and high off the ground, OR, do we get Del another mini van or truck, to carry around his plywood and other purchased materials for his wood projects.  I can't imagine having a vehicle that is purchased for one main purpose - to carry something that he will do only 3-4 times a year.  I have NOT been happy with the thought of another mini van .  I'm past that stage and don't want one.
Today, after we left the loser cruiser at the morgue, we went car shopping.  The exciting part, was knowing that we weren't going to be just 'window shopping' - we actually needed to walk away with a new car.  The bad thing, was, although I had done a lot of researching a new car, Del had done very little.  But always, in our previous purchases, I have been the one who has been able to have the new car and Del has taken the left over.  He's always been kind that way.
First place we went to was the Dodge dealership, where Del checked out the mini vans.  As soon as he did that, I checked out.  If he was going to get a mini van, it was going to be all him; I wasn't interested.  But when they didn't meet his criteria, we moved over to the trucks.  Here comes the conclusion to the story.  
It's Del's turn for the new toy.  He deserves it too.  He has waited a long time for a truck - and of all times, he needs one for this new place.  It helps, of course, that I love it too.  It's new too.  Our first new car/truck.  It's a 2014, but only has like 200 miles on it.  It's black and drives like a dream.  Del is finally a true Texan...has his truck and has his farm.  Love him.  I am happy for him.  More happy for him than I am sad for me.  Am I going to drive it???  Maybe...But it's Del's.
Merry Christmas Del!!!

No comments: