Wednesday, March 23, 2022

I Could Hear It

I'm not one that likes to talk on the phone.  I'm an 'in person' communicator or by letter or text.  My mother loves to talk on the phone; mainly to Elaine, cause Elaine doesn't mind the phone.  But once every other month, I'll actually call my mom to visit, just so she knows I love her and haven't forgotten her. I did that last week.

My mother will be turning 91 in May.  She doesn't look that old and she certainly doesn't act that old.  But it's not like she exercises every day or takes multi vitamins or has any secret to her youthful existence, it's just that she doesn't carry the look of a little old lady.  But for the first time, she sounded old.  You know how the voices raises a higher pitch or two on some older people?  Well, that's how she sounded, and it put off guard for a minute.  I actually even told her - of course, not wanting to hurt her feelings, but I told her that for the first time, she actually sounded old to me.  She jokingly reminded me that 'she IS turning 91 this year'.  I was well aware of that.

Her mother, Grammie, passed away at age 93.  President Nelson is actually 97 years old - some other General Authorities are into their 90's also.  Uncle Floyd is 93 - Uncle Ron is 90.  What does it all mean?  I guess their time here on earth is short.  Not to say that mine isn't also - I could go any day for any reason.  Anyone could.  But for these sweet people that I love so dearly, it will most likely be in less than 5 years.  If mom had her way, it would have been a long time before now.  Since daddy's passing, she's only longed to reunite with him.  And you can't blame her; he is and was her whole life.  

I really need to try harder to be more of her daily living - aware of her daily.  She doesn't have much else but to hear from and see her children and grandchildren.  She really is quite a lovely person, my mother.  Sometimes, I really wish she still had her British accent.  That would have been so cool.  It's so sad that my mother hasn't even met some of her great grandchildren and great great grandchildren.  There are too many.  And everyone seems to be too busy to find it important to have that connection.  But a blood relative like that??  I can't imagine never having met my mother.  But Lucy hasn't.  Peyton hasn't.

Oh, I'm rambling.  Family relations.  My mother has quite the lineage.  I'm so proud of who she is and everything she had endured and overcome in her life.  

I think I'll call her.

Now THAT was lovely. 

No comments: