Sunday, March 20, 2022

Mexico Day 2











Sunday.  Our plans were to attend a local barrio (ward) in Puerto Vallarta for the 12:00 noon services.  So we had a nice leisurely breakfast and then we all met up to take a taxi to the church. We ran into other gringos at the church, even some we knew here in Texas when we lived over in Frisco.  We arrived early, so we were able to observe things from a visitors point of view - a chapel, but no pews - individual chairs.  Cute little Mexican families with little children - all men in white shirts and ties - few, if any cellphones; youth arriving and visiting with each other before the meeting started.  It was all taking me back to my days in Chile and I felt such a pull to the customs and the people.  I found my Spanish coming back to me and I spoke with several members in their own tongue.  They were surprised that I was a gringa but speaking Spanish.

After Sacrament meeting, which I was able to understand and really enjoyed, I snuck in to the Young Women's room and introduced myself to the young ladies as the leader in my young women's group in the states.  They asked questions about the girls - what they wear - do they have phones? drive cars? had I met the prophet before? I noticed none of them had any of the before mentioned items - they didn't even have drivers licenses or cars in their families.  They took the bus to church.  Their clothes were not the best, but they were clean and they all looked beautiful.  And they were happy.  I could tell.  I had such a nice short visit before my family left to go back to the resort.  I realized what different worlds we lived in and how they were so content and happy with what little they had.  And they were at peace.  No contention - no anxiety - no tense emotions.  Just peaceful.  made me miss my days in Chile.

After a nice lunch as a group, some went back to their rooms for naps and rest.  Del and I decided to go down and walk along the beach and talk about our day so far.  The water was beautiful and felt not too cold, but nice.  We had a great conversation about what we had observed at church and felt about the people and the gospel.  We were so grateful to be part of Heavenly Father's church and have so much in common with those we had met that day, even when we lived so very far away.  And that differences didn't affect the truthfulness of the gospel.

It was fun to see that Becca and Lance had the same idea as we met up with them on the beach.  We took some photos and then just went sightseeing through some little shops and had fun laughs while we continued to walk the beach.

Dinner and evening entertainment was fun again and then as a whole group, we played some games into the late night and then off to bed.

Another picture of the beautiful sunset to close out the day.

A nice Sabbath Day to be grateful for.
 

No comments: