Sunday, July 3, 2011

'If You Chance To Meet a Frown...'

This was the face of most of our little 3 yr old Sunbeams today in Primary. Some weeks are just harder than others...and today was ONE of THOSE days. And we have over 35 Sunbeams in our Primary. Made for a pretty sad sight.
Pouty pouty faces..and scowls and tears streaming down cheeks. I wondered what was in the air, but had to laugh at some of the faces because they were just too darn cute. There is nothing cuter than a little pouty face on an adorable little child.
I wasn't having much luck in changing any of those pouty lips either...so I decided to teach them the Primary song I had learned many many MANY years before...'If You Chance to Meet a Frown...do not let it stay...quickly turn it upside down and smile that frown away...No-one likes a frowny face, change it for a smile..make the world a better place by smiling all the while'. By the time I was finished, I had each of those frowny faces glowing with ear to ear grins...except for one stubborn little soul...our Bishop's youngest son, Samuel. But he finally couldn't do it any longer and caved in, smiling from then on. Whew...he was a tough one to crack though. He ALMOST got the best of me...but I depend on those little ones to strengthen me each week with their sweet innocent spirits; so when they're grumpy or unhappy, it's either 'join in their misery' time or 'change it around' time...and I just couldn't let it end up a miserable day.
Another funny little note for today..
A few weeks ago, I taught the little Jr. Primary kids the song 'In The Leafy Treetops', including the second verse about 'in my pretty garden, the flowers are nodding'. It wasn't until today that I learned that two of my little 4 year old boys thought I had taught them about 'in my pretty garden, the flowers are NAUGHTY.' One of them had been singing the new song at the dinner table, and when his parents asked him to sing it slower, they understood the words he was singing and the whole family got a great laugh. So, today, I had to try and explain that the flowers weren't 'naughty, but nodding.' When I could see that they weren't getting THAT concept any better than the previous one, I just let it go, knowing how many of us grew up misunderstanding the words to songs on the radio and yet sang them over and over incorrectly.
Just gave me a giggle for the day.
Sweet Primary souls...my 'lifesavers'.

No comments: