Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Grant's Golden Gems

Okay..I've mentioned the couple in my ward named the McClellan's.
They have a just over 2 yr old son named Grant.
Priceless...adorable...FUNNY!
This child is all the above and more.
We usually sit behind them each Sunday in church and this past Sunday was no different.
I was medicated (ribs) but had taken my meds earlier in the day and could feel some discomfort starting up. Grant was not going to help my cause.
He was talking..about anything and everything. The kid is brilliant...definitely the first child that got a lot of attention. Speaks full sentences with that cute little voice all adorable children have... Grant was explaining to his dad about things going on around them and then church started, so Grant had to fold his arms for the prayer etc. I closed mine too, but unlike Grant, I didn't open mine once the prayer was over. Mine remained closed.
Next thing I hear...'You budder upon yo eyes o you wont be abul to see duh bwed coming'. I opened one eye to see him talking to me, with which he then finished..'no..you half to open bowf yo eyes!!'.
I quickly obeyed.
The sacrament started shortly and I removed my glasses for a moment to rub my eyes, forgetting I was still being watched.
'No no no!!! If you dont half yo gwasses on, you cant see nuffing at all!'
I put my glasses back on.
He was holding a picture of the Salt Lake Temple, so I asked him 'what it was?'
'The tempul...and him's has a hone (horn, as he points to Moroni). Him's gunna put on his cape and fwry down to urph."
It hurt my ribs to laugh but I just couldn't help it. Apparently I wasn't the only one who had thought Grant's comments were adorable cause not only was our church bench shaking from mine and Del's suppressed giggles, but both the rows in front of us and behind us had been enjoying Grant's wonderful tales. And he wasn't finished.
Poor baby had a pretty bad cold and at one point, coughed and sneezed ALL over his mothers arm and hand...(yeah, it was gross). She quietly tried to clean it up without drawing attention to the situation when Grant said to me, 'That was gwoss on my mom's arm and I don't fink she liked it.' With the facial expressions that accompanied his remark, his cuteness just sent us over the edge. Yeah...an open laugh escaped my lips!!! And it hurt!!! But it was SOOOO worth the pain.
After Sacrament meeting, his mother and father apologized over and over for Grant's behavior during church. I begged them to never apologize for their child bringing such joy and humor into another persons life...but told them they owed me something for the pain and asked them to write everything down that he says during these priceless years so they could enjoy it in the years to come.

Grant reminded me of Jordan at that same age. He was just as funny...said the same funny things. I hoped Grant would turn out for them half as good as Jordan had for us.

No comments: