Friday, August 24, 2012

Playing in our Backyard


 
















Well...we have lived here just over a month and until today, I had never been in the back half of our property, or what we fondly call, Preston Hollow.  I mean, there are bugs, and spiders, and snakes and other things back there.  Plus, every time anyone goes back there, they complain for the next three days about chigger bites and all other kinds of itchy things.  Not my cup of tea.
But today, being Friday, it was my day off.  No shower, no make up, no hair done and my day to do chores.  It was also the day Del decided I was going to go back and see all the hard work he has been doing over the past month. So I decided to gear up.
I put on baggy jeans, an old BYU t-shirt, wrapped a towel around the inside of my shirt so I wouldn't sweat and get chiggers in there, sprayed my body down with this magical concoction Del has made against insects and pulled my boots on....and out I went into the forest.  I looked hysterical...like an oversized stuffed marshmallow.  But it worked.  I didn't have sweat dripping down the front of me...and I was able to crawl through the over grown bushes and thorny shrubs without scratching up my body.  Del decided to take a few pictures of which are the least flattering I've EVER seen of myself, but he was just glad I was out there with him.
Me too....he has done a LOT of clearing of underbrush, dead tree's and over grown plants.  He's ripped two pairs of jeans, shredded a few long sleeve shirts and gone through three pairs of gloves already.  It's a jungle back there...But he has cleared a nice partial pathway where I was able to walk through with only getting snagged in a few places.  Once he and the boys have this done, it will be a wonderful place back there for everyone to go exploring.
What does Del DO with all that torn out underbrush, dead trees and over grown vines????
He has a bonfire, of course!!!!
I'm on my way home from work last night when I get a text from Kylie, who is at our house.
The text is of the above picture....
I respond with...HOLY CRAP!!! But Del insists he had it all 'under control' and was 'being safe'.  Reminds me of the time Jordan tried to explain about 'ice bombs and bottle rockets' he and Mark Roberts, Elliot Winters and Ricky Adams had been building and shooting off.... 'we had it under control and we knew what we we're doing!!'  I think that's a 'quote'.  And THEY were Eagle Scouts!!  Del isn't!!  I guess I just have to let them do what they're going to do.
Aside from exploring the back half acre, I 'poop scooped' the backyard, cleaned the patios and I'm in the middle of laundry and making dinner for tonight before we are off to the Denton Rodeo with everyone but Kathryn...she has to work.
So there will be more pictures to come...

No comments: