Friday, August 31, 2012

Utah: Day 2

Rebecca had to go to Salt Lake this morning and so for the first few hours of the day, I visited with Lance and did some blogging and face booking.  Then when Becca got home, we decided to have a quick lunch before running out to the BYU bookstore up on campus.  I was in HEAVEN....
 The Cougareat and cafeteria area where the students still do all their hanging out and 'scoping out' of the freshman possibilities.
 And of course, my sole purpose for my visit to the BYU campus bookstore is to stock myself with the newest years football posters and shirts.  I purchased a new pair of BYU shorts, two football posters, a BYU puzzle and stayed all within my allotted budget.  I was so proud of myself and my self control and restraint.  Trust me, I could have and wanted to buy a LOT more!!!

 We came home and prepared a nice steak, potato and asparagus dinner for the family and my parents and then we started our evenings projects.  We had more peaches to peel and slice and we had the big project of extracting Becca's honey.
 Yes, this is Rebecca's husband, Lance...pictures explain it all....


 My daddy chose to help us peel a few of the peaches with his bare hands...no knife.  I love my daddy's hands that I have watched as a dentist for years.  Now, they struggle with his Parkinson's Disease.


 Rebecca was showing daddy the techniques of spinning the honey in the extracting machine.  It really was quite fascinating to watch the whole process...from Lance preparing the honey comb trays, to Rebecca spinning and then bottling the honey. 





 After the peaches were finished for the night (we still have three more buckets to do tomorrow) and the honey project was complete, we decided to play a few games.  Daddy got hold of some candy, Smarties, and started flicking them across the table trying to keep them rolling to the other side before they would drop off.  He would giggle as Becca and I teased him about playing with his food and we finally gathered them all together and made him eat them, even if they had fallen to the floor.


As I was giving him the last of his candies, I noticed the calendar/appt book he had in his shirt pocket.  For as long as I can remember, my father has carried a pocket calendar in his shirt pocket.  For many years, it was the lifeline of his every day comings and goings and was the ONLY way he could be where he was supposed to be WHEN he was supposed to be there.  Speaking engagements, assignments, patriarchal blessing appointments, temple assignments and weddings to perform.  He had to write them down to remember them all.
Now, he has no appointments to be at, except doctor appointments...but there the calendar was; in his shirt pocket, with probably not much written in it.  But just case he is needed somewhere or by someone, he has his pocket calendar handy, ready to make note of where he needs to be and who needs him there.
I hope he has my name in it.

No comments: