Thursday, December 27, 2012

Multiple 360's on FM 380

After snowing 2-3 inches Christmas Day, the weather dropped to below freezing that night and the next day.  I, of course, had to go to work.
I decided to leave at least 15 minutes early to work to give me the time to drive carefully.  I arrived in time, with minutes to spare coming from an hour away.  But then there were others who lived in the neighboring cities that were 15 and 20 minutes late.  I was stunned.  The roads were icy but there was enough sun during the day that most of the snow melted, but the ice was deep and became slushy.
The drive home was another story. Once I got out of the 'city' and on to the main hwy 380, I felt a little safer and more confident...but I was wrong.  I was going 60 mph, which is the normal speed limit, but not under 'normal' conditions.  I was going too fast.  I was in the FAR right lane going West.  I decided the car in front of me was going to slow, so I decided I would pass him.  I accelerated and started to pass, having to cross over a pile of snow and slush.  As my back right tire hit that snow, I was spinning from there. It immediately sent me into a 360' turn as I was spinning into the far left lane, then another 360' sent me into the oncoming traffic on the other side of hwy 380 going East, and yet one more 360' turn put me all the way onto the shoulder of the other side of the highway, my car coming to a stop facing East.  I was....stunned.
A few thoughts at this point.
I remember every turn.  And I remember thinking, 'I wish I could remember which way I am supposed to turn the wheel through all this'.  So, I let go of the steering wheel and let it do just whatever it was going to do.  The main thing I remember was the spirit telling me, no, yelling at me, to 'keep your foot off the brake'.  Instinct, going 60 mph, was to try and slow down, but the spirit distinctly told me that if I tried to brake, I would roll the car. So I did three 360's going 60 mph.
When I came to a sudden stop on the other side, I immediately rolled down my window to give me some air and I had a rush of 'burning rubber' smell come to my nose.  I put the car in 'park', took a few deep breaths and then gave a verbal 'thank you' to my Heavenly Father for His protection.  I saw several cars slowed enough to check if I was safe and I slowly put the car in drive, crossed the hwy again and drove the rest of the way home at a nice slow pace of 40 mph.
My thoughts were scrambled with questions and analysis of the circumstances. I remembered all my thoughts...I was protected for a reason.  I know what the reasons are; there are many, and I remember the distinct promptings of the spirit - let go of the wheel and keep your foot off the brake.  I never questioned the 'why's', I was just immediately obedient.
When I got home, I went straight to my bedroom and dropped to my knees.  I should have been dead.  If I had not obeyed the spirit, I know I would be dead.  I was grateful - I was humbled and I was scared at how close it had been.
My Heavenly Father loves me....and Del.  We have some things we still need to do and I need to remember to do my part in trying to stick around long enough to get those things done.
Today, we are waiting for our grand daughter to make her appearance into this world.  Kylie is anxious but ready.  We took food over to her house last night to make dinner at their home for them...today, she went to the doctor and was already dilated to a 3, which was progress from only a 1 last week at her appointment. And she hadn't gained any weight, so to this point, has only gained 9 pounds.  Whatever!!!  She is scheduled to go to the hospital first thing in the morning to be induced, if she doesn't go into labor before hand.  She just called and said she feels she is in labor, having contractions every five minutes that are lasting for over a minute.  She may actually do this on her own?!  Ha...Go figure.
Well...I will be on call through the night.  Mike's mother has Preston for the night so we will wait for Kylie's call before we go.
Tomorrow, we should have our new addition to the Lott Family.  Prayers for Kylie, the doctor, Madison and the miracle of childbirth.

No comments: