Sunday, February 10, 2013

Conclusion to My Sabbath Day

About ten minutes after I finished writing the last blog post, my sister Rachel and her family showed up at dad and mom's house on their way to go see daddy.  They brought dinner in from the car and asked a few questions about daddy that they didn't want their kids to hear.  So while the kids sat in the car, I gave them a quick update on the previous few days and the information we had learned Friday from Mike, the physical therapist.  They were surprised about a few of the things I shared, but mostly were accepting of the news I gave them.  Because they would be eating dinner with us all later, we did a few preparations before getting in the car and going over to the Care facility.
I love Rachel's kids.  They have always been some of my favorites as I did a lot of babysitting for them and so did my girls.  We laughed and joked all the way over to where daddy was, but then I kind of warned them of what they would be seeing in grandpa, so they wouldn't be scared or surprised.  When we got there, my nephew Jacob was there and had just experienced a very tender meeting with my daddy so there were tears already.  My sister Jennifer was there and had also had a good moment with my daddy.  I went over quickly to say hi to daddy and he gave me a smile and said my name before I left the rest of the time for Rachel and her family to say their hello's.  Rachelle, their oldest daughter, had not seen daddy since his accident, so she was a little set back on her heels and cried a little.  The rest of the children, along with Rachel and Mike, all spent some wonderful time talking with daddy and having him involved in some great conversation.  It was sweet to see each of the grandchildren love their grandpa so much.  Rebecca, Lance and Austin arrived just a few minutes after I did, so they also visited with daddy before we all decided we would go into the large gathering area of the center and have a special FHE and sing around the piano.
It was there, we all experienced a very special spiritual experience.  As we sang some of the hymns, daddy would start to cry and would look around the room at each of us, especially his daughters.  Rachel and Rebecca were standing right behind daddy's wheel chair while Jen, Elaine and I were sitting off in the back on a separate sofa.  The harmonizing during each hymn was beautiful but daddy was still only listening.  he did attempt to mouth the words to several of the songs, but nothing really more than that...until Rebecca said she was going to sing the tenor part to one of daddy's favorite hymns, but she would need help with the part. She didn't, of course, but knew it would encourage him to sing.  And he did.  Mom motioned to each of three sitting further away to come over and stand by daddy, singing right behind him so he could hear us all...and he sang his tenor part with us.
He sang.  And the tears flowed.  It was such a tender moment.  Our daddy was singing.  To those who have never heard my daddy sing, you cannot understand the moment that was for us, his daughters.  It was eternal....and celestial.  A moment that I will not soon forget.
But I was also touched by the spirit with the confirmation, that daddy's time will not be long here upon the earth.  He will leave us, sooner rather than later.  But I was also comforted by that same spirit to know, that it will be okay.
Daddy's life is completed.  He has done all he could possibly do and he is truly ready to pass to the next life. I don't want him to suffer.  I don't want him to be in pain.  And I don't want him to have to stay any longer on this earth for someone Else's benefit.  Let him leave in peace.  And soon.
I left shortly after the last hymn was sung and Jen gave me a ride home to mom's home, where Rachel's family joined me and helped me get dinner ready for when mom and Elaine would get home.  We all enjoyed a great dinner, joined also by my brother Von and his wife Ann, who stopped by to get an  update on daddy.
Now, Rachel's family has gone home, Von and Ann left, and I am over here at Becca's house with mom, Elaine and Becca.  While they are watching the newest episode of a show called 'Downtown Abbey', I am sharing this blog post, not wanting to forget the special feelings from this afternoon/evenings events.  My brother Mark will be arriving this coming Wednesday, the same day Elaine will be flying home.  Depending on whether or not I get the job I just interviewed for, I will most likely be flying home Friday, just as my other brother Phil will be arriving.  If I DON'T get the job, I may actually stay another week.  But I just don't know yet.
I'm tired now.  Content, but tired.  Daddy whispered to Elaine as she left tonight, that 'it had been a really great afternoon/evening for him'.  I am so glad there were so many of us there to show him how much he is loved.  It made for a beautiful experience for all of us there.

2 comments:

Isaiah and Jenna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Isaiah and Jenna said...

Thank you for recording these experiences. They're invaluable!