Thursday, February 21, 2013

Enjoy the Ride

I read this talk the other day; about 'enjoying the moments we live in' instead of waiting for the 'end results'.  Then I found this quote by President Hinckley saying the exact same thing, but recognizing that he was our prophet - and he lived it - Life, I mean.  And what a great life he lived.
In the past two months, with the birth of my sweet grand daughter Madison, and now, with the fragile state that my father is now living, I have thought a lot about the 'living of life'.  It's a given that we are all going to die.  The only thing not known by any of us are the details of the 'when, where and how'. Kind of just like birth - so many unknowns as to the details, but it's an 'automatic' event. But it's from that moment of birth, to the last breath of death that we call...'The Ride'.

Just like roller coasters, life has it's ups and downs, wicked turns, fast and slow moments and of course, the moments we want to 'just get off '.  According to President Hinckley's quote, most of 'the ride' is level and even keel...nothing more than 'hum drum'...normal.  But most of us living 'the ride' know that the excitement comes when on that roller coaster of life, we climb steep hills until we reach the top of a joyous moment and enjoy the exhilaration of having accomplished or achieved some level of success or happiness....only to then, come off the adrenaline of the moment and once again, life becomes normal.
But President Hinckley's message is to not wait for the rise and fall of our life's journey to experience happiness - to recognize the joy; but instead, to enjoy each moment, from the beginning to the end and EVERYTHING in between.  I rejoice and enjoy the pure joy of the birth of our new Madison - such happiness.  And yet, I mourn and sorrow over the impending passing of my father.  Makes sense, when I ponder the sadness the loss of his life will cause so many people.  But I'm forgetting to thank the Lord 'for the ride', the memories and moments I have spent with my daddy; the things I have learned from him, gospel principles, facts of life, love, and all the lives he has touched, including and never forgetting, the lives of my children.  I have only been thinking of what he will no longer be able to do, instead of all he has already done.
So, instead, I will remember all he has been for me...all the strength he has given me - all the memories I have of him, right in my heart.  He will always be a part of me....especially his music.
And now, as we come to the near end of 'his ride', I pray I can enjoy that part of it, remembering the beginning, the highs, the lows, and now the ending.
Enjoy the Ride.

1 comment:

AJ said...

That is a great quote and so accurate to life. President Hinckley used it in a talk once, but it isn't actually his quote. He was quoting a man named Jenkin Lloyd Jones who was a writer. I saw it here http://middle-agedmormonman.blogspot.com/2013/02/no-he-didnt.html?m=1