Saturday, February 9, 2013

In Utah to See My Daddy


Today is Saturday, the 9th of February and I have been in Utah since Thursday early afternoon  I had to get up at 4:00 a.m. and out the door by 4:30, but Del got me to the airport in plenty of time.
I was able to fly free, compliments of Del's counselor Brother Peterson, who works at Southwest.  He gave me some free flights passes, which required the early departure and then being on standby flights.  But it was right in our price range....free.  I arrived at 5:30 where Becca was waiting to pick me up and bring me right to the Care Facility where daddy is staying.  He recognized me immediately and smiled, cried and embraced my face.  He said my name several times.  It was sweet.
I am...let's see.  I am disappointed that he is not as good as I thought he would be.  The pictures and videos that I had seen were slightly deceiving.  He is not nearly as progressive and well as they portrayed.  He hardly speaks, if at all...although, what he did say and how much he has said since I have been here has been more than in the past, so I am pleased I am getting the best of that.
I am not wanting to be a 'care taker'.  I prefer to let others take care of all the medical attention daddy is needing while I tend to just being his daughter.  I am having a hard time with the little bit of dignity my father has left...having been reduced to being called 'Von' by kids in their 20's because he is a patient.  I so badly have wanted to say, 'Excuse me, that is BROTHER Packard to you squirt'.  But I know they are just doing their job with a patient just like all the others.
There have also been a few frustrations and some anxiety being expressed by several of us...mostly because of the difference in the way each of us is handling daddy's care.  I'm feeling there are too many opinions and power struggles where there may be some who feel I am too casual and frivilous over the situation.  I just hate drama...I think too much is made of too many things...too dramatic.
Uh oh...I can tell I'm getting...ugly.  I'm wanting to go home I think...let others just do what they feel is best to do cause I just don't agree with some of the thoughts and or feelings of the others.  I'm going to just step back for awhile.
Anyways...some pictures of my daddy.

My cousin Lisa, whom I haven't seen in probably 30 years?



Tiffany giving daddy's room a 'heart attack'.

The process of these next three pictures took almost 45 minutes








No comments: