Thursday, October 23, 2014

Off to Utah With My Sweetie - Days 1-3





Del and I decided a few month ago, that we needed to have a nice get away together.  We thought about where we could go and what we could do, but when it came down to it, we wanted to go see our mothers, see a BYU football game and see Kathryn and other siblings.
So, it was a trip to Utah the beginning of October.
We went the weekend of General Conference, leaving on Thursday and getting there that night.  We stayed at Lance and Becca's house, which was really nice and fun - First night was just dinner, playing games and catching up after not seeing them for 10 months.
Friday was GAME DAY.  BYU against Utah State.  BYU was favored to win - and we were going in undefeated 4-0 with our quarterback in the talk of the Heisman Trophy and our team playing fantastic.
We all went out to dinner beforehand to Los Hermanos and had a great time and good food, with our waiter being super fun with us.  We had to walk a bit to the stadium after parking back at Nate's apartment, but we had a lot of energy and excitement in anticipation of a great night.  I loved being there.  I loved the spirit and seeing all things BYU - posters everywhere - fans everywhere- and just a lot of excitement in the air.  Our seats were good, in the South end zone - and within the first minutes of the game, our wonderful quarterback ran it in to the end zone for a touchdown.  But, a few more plays into the game and our quarterback was out of the game with a broken leg, being taken down from behind.  You could feel the change in the stadium - it was so deflating.
We lost the game.  Our back up quarterback was ok, but he wasn't Taysom Hill...and everyone knew it.  We got home late from the game both tired and disappointed.
Saturday and Sunday were spent watching and listening to General Conference.  Del went to his brother, Lon's place and I stayed at Becca's.  Sunday, we both went over and watched Conference with my mother - so good to see her and visit with her and hear about her recent trip to Europe with my sister Sheila and her husband Steve.  Conference was wonderful - and after conference, my Utah siblings and their families, along with many of my nieces and nephews and their children, all came to mom's house for a big family dinner - A great family time - lot's of talking about our families and our joys and trials.  I was so glad that Kathryn had come with her friend Cam.  She liked seeing some of her cousins and family.
I'm looking forward to going back and reading some of the talks from conference.  There were a few that really touched me and the spirit bore witness to me of the importance of their message.  I don't want to forget them.  So I will be anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Ensign and then taking some serious time to study and ponder some of it's messages.

No comments: