Friday, March 5, 2010

Barely Making the Grade

I don't know what it is about my children, but they seem to be satisfied with always taking the 'just enough to get by' path in life. It is so frustrating to Del and me, as parents, to see this continual lack of 'being the best you can be' in our children's lives. At this moment, I am talking about Jordan.
Jordan is going to BYU Idaho; wishes he was going to BYU Utah. But all through high school, he lived by the rule of 'do the least I have to to get by'. His homework seldom left his backpack; he was happy with B's and C's and felt we should be glad that he was 'average' and 'normal'; he was a 100% with church, Seminary and his spiritual growth but failed to realize that the path he was taking, would land him right where he deserved to be...at BYU Idaho. And he's been fairly miserable ever since.
Jordan hates school - always has. But he wants to be a lawyer. Jordan hates working, but wants to be rich; Jordan hates dating, but wants a girlfriend; Jordan hates 'the process' but wants 'the results'. I don't know what to do with him.
I adore Jordan, and he knows it. But I have sure done him a disservice by not 'kicking his backside' a long time ago. My kids have never had 'extra's' in life - name brand clothes, their own cars or things handed to them on a plate. It has usually been the policy in our house hold that you 'reap what you sow' and you 'get what you get and you don't pitch a fit'. But my kids try to take short cuts - cut corners, not give 100%; and then wonder why they aren't happy with where their choices land them.
This all hits because I get a phone call from Jordan saying he's flunking one of his classes - Psychology. Go figure. Has he done all the homework? no...Has he talked to the teacher? no...Has he looked for a 'free' tutor to get extra help? no... Has he given what he needs to in order to pass the class? no...
So, I became 'mother', the mother that should have appeared years ago. With the kindest, yet firmest words I could muster, I told him it was time to grow up and take responsibility for his choices. I told him he had one month to get his grades up in all classes and pass his Psychology class; there were to be no more excuses. I let him know that 'NOT DOING HIS 100% BEST' was no longer acceptable in the world we live in; not if he wants to get anywhere in this life. But most of all, I told him that I loved him beyond words, but that I was also pretty disappointed in his current attitude about school and life, and that unless he stepped up to some expectations from us and his Heavenly Father, he would probably find himself pretty unhappy for a long time.
He was sufficiently humbled, apologetic and repentant, but I told him I wanted to see all those feelings in his report card in a month.
I guess some of my parenting skills, or lack of, are coming back to bite me in the butt. Of course, I THOUGHT I was doing the right thing all the time...how naive, but I can now see back where I could have, and SHOULD have made other choices. Some things have turned out beautifully, but a few are going to be a little more difficult to live through in the near future.
I could end up 'MOMMY DEAREST' by the time this is over.

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Every family gets one, or two, or three kids like this. I just wished that we, as parents, were allowed to live on hindsight all along. It would have made things a lot easier for us and less miserable for our kids. Way to put your foot down!

AnnCP said...

Sometimes you just have to be tough - and it is OK! It is not too late for Jordan to buck it up and prove to himself he has what it takes.