Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What's Left To Do?

Last night, our FHE lesson was on Patriarchal blessings. I had each of us write down something that we had always wanted to do in our lives but for some reason or another, had never done it. Del wrote that he wished he had learned how to play the piano...I was surprised. Kathryn said she hadn't missed out on anything and was really not regretting any missed opportunities. I wrote that I wished I had gone further in my singing - specifically, performing, as in singing with The Mormon Tab Choir. My sister Rachel just made the choir. I am soooo happy for her and jealous at the same time. I should have taken the chance when I had it.
Then, I had each of us think of something that we still hoped to do in our lives and what we would do in our lives to make sure that we could accomplish it. I wanted us to specifically focus on some gifts or promises from our Patriarchal blessings. Kathryn's response was full of dreams and opportunities and so many things to accomplish. Del and I responded with much the same feeling...'What's Left To Do?'
I've thought about it further today...wanting to hope that all isn't necessarily fulfilled and accomplished in my patriarchal blessing, but that there is still much to do and hope for. But I can see a lot of the promises and blessings given in my Patriarchal blessing already fulfilled in some way or another. Are there still things to live for and strive for? Of course; but more of my blessing has been fulfilled than not.
A strange stage of life to be in, where my thoughts and desires are more for my children and family than for myself. Where I feel my role in life is to now help them accomplish and make some of their promises and dreams come true. It's good though. I feel satisfied...there are a few areas in which I hope to continue striving for perfection and improvement - and there are a few areas in which I feel was a 'missed opportunity' for completion to it's fullest and the time has passed. A few regrets?? A few.
But there are a few things that I have decided I'm going to give one last shot at; that maybe the chance has not been completely missed to fulfill in this lifetime.
A few things left to do.

2 comments:

Kylie C. said...

You still have to be a Grandma since you haven't done that yet. 6 1/2 more months.

AnnCP said...

Oh, Marlys - there is still lots left to do. When you think you have done it all and there is no more to learn, the Lord has a way of hitting you over the head and says, "Lookee - here is something you didn't think about!"