Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Difficult Week to Be a Mom

As ugly as this picture is, it is exactly how I felt, more than once, during this past week.
Without sharing details, I cried several times, counted to ten at least twice, hung up the phone once and grounded myself to my room for a night.
If I could have found a suitcase big enough to fit everything I own into it, I would have run away from home. But I couldn't. And I don't have that much stuff!!
So instead? I allowed each situation to just play itself out. I just sat back and waited...and waited....and watched and waited.
I'm too old for drama and the few times I have had to do drama in the past, I haven't done it well. I committed at the beginning of the year that there 'would not be any more drama in my life that I would not handle calmly and rationally'...and so when this past week bombarded me with potential drama disasters, I just sat back calmly, took deep breaths and let others calm down and think more clearly.
Has it worked? For the most part...the better part; but there are still a few situations that will be LONG in resolving themselves and will most likely have more potentially dramatic episodes in the future. That comes with the territory of being a mother. But I'm too old for the previous 'toll' it has taken on me in the past. No more.
I now play..'The Waiting Game'.
And I plan on winning it every time I need to.

No comments: