Thursday, September 20, 2012

I'm the Reason

I was telling Del a few of the details of my visit to Utah and mostly about the conversations I had with both family and friends about our family and Del's health.  Everyone ALWAYS asks how Del is doing..how is his MS?  How is his job etc etc.
Over the past two years, I have answered that question the same way..that with Dels change in jobs and the birth and life of his sweet grandson, Preston, Del has a whole new lease on life.  He is revitalized...re-energized and has a whole new vibrancy to his life.  All in all, he is once again, ALIVE.
I have noticed that he is more relaxed, not so stressed out and seems genuinely happy - hopeful - and renewed.
When sharing these conversations with Del last week, he stopped me mid sentence and said 'Marlys, you have it all wrong.'  I was confused.  I had seen the change in Del over the past few years.  I had seen him, especially this past year, happy - healthy - alive.
I was sitting in his lap as he told me the reason I was wrong.
'You are the reason I am happy.  YOU are the reason I am alive and happy.  YOU are the reason I am different.'
I couldn't believe what he was saying.
He continued to express that ever since I had gone through a very difficult year last year, and a very humbling change of heart, he had come to love me more and more for the new person I was becoming and allowing myself to be.
'I' was the reason he was so happy.

It was a moment I will not soon forget.

1 comment:

Michelle Packard Bowler said...

Thank you for making me cry. Thank you and Uncle Del for being such amazing examples of how to be a spouse. Love you both!