Friday, September 21, 2012

The Stars are Brighter in Aubrey Texas

Del is a star gazer.
Growing up out in the country and on a farm, there were many nights that he spent out 'under the stars.
He knows his 'Dippers' and 'Milky Ways', his 'galaxies' and constellations.
I know my candy bars.
But over the years, he has been lovingly introducing me to the beauty of star gazing and showing me the beauty of the night that I've never seen before.
When we lived in Blackfoot Idaho, I had one of my first 'midnight' dates with Del.  I was 7 months prego when Del took me out into our backyard, hoisted me up onto the trampoline and we laid on our backs looking up at the gorgeous star lit sky.  He showed me a bear, some bull and what used to be 'the North Star' (I hear it's been renamed a planet now).  But it was all so beautiful living out there in the country...like I could reach right up and touch those stars.
Lindon Utah found me back on a trampoline staring up into another beautiful country sky.  This time though, the trampoline was ground level and underneath a beautiful maple tree which blocked just a few of the sky's treasures...but it was still midnight and Del was still my date. (and I WASN'T prego).  I remember planets being found and a wolf and/or horse out of the corner of my eye. 
Last night after watching the BYU - Boise State football game, I was slightly, okay, a little more than slightly, upset about the BYU loss.  I was downright TICKED.  As we walked around the house opening windows for the cool evening, instead of locking the front door, Del took my hand and led me outside to our huge front lawn.  No trampoline to lay on so I stood in front of him and leaned back onto his chest as we looked up into the big Texas sky.
Now THAT was awesome....we saw it all - the Dippers, the animals, the planets and the stars.  It was all there, laid out in all it's beauty for us to enjoy.  The neatest thing of all was realizing that this was the star lit
sky we are going to see for the rest of our lives...in our front or back yard...This is the same sky we will share with our kids and their kids...our grandchildren.  Del will now get to point out all those memories he made for me, to our grandchildren.  Won't be quite as romantic, but I imagine it will be just as much fun...and just as memorable.
Love our Texas nights....

No comments: