Saturday, May 28, 2011

So What's in a Name???


When I think back on the deliveries of each of my children, I remember the time and thought that Del and I both put in to choosing 'just the right name' for each child. It was important; what they would be known by for their whole existence, in both this life and the next. It had to be right.
Our first son we named Michael. It means 'like God'. We felt our special gift from our Heavenly Father truly was, like God. Now his middle name? Jorrell. Yes, that IS Superman's dad's name. I had never heard it until Del chose it as Michael's middle name. I realized that even though it wasn't the name I would have chosen for Michael, it was what Del wanted. So, Michael Jorrell Lott was our first son.
Our next child was another boy. Del and I were married in the Jordan River Temple...hence, our son's first name was Jordan. And since Michael's middle name had made no sense to me, I figured Jordan's name should follow the same pattern...so he was blessed Jordan Camron Lott, for no reason whatsoever.
Our first daughter's name was going to be given much more thought than either of our son's names...I insisted. So the minute I knew I was carrying a girl, I determined that she would be named Megan. I had loved the name Megan for years and since Del liked the name too, I felt we finally had a winner. But just weeks before our little Megan was due to arrive, Del heard a new song on the radio that he loved, sung by the artist Kylie Minogue. My little 'Megan' quickly changed to Kylie but I stood my ground on choosing her middle name. Thus, she was blessed and given the name Kylie ShaVon...after my parents Sheila and Von. Yes, when SHE says it, it sounds like she's African American...with a LOT of attitude!!!
By this time, I had given up even TRYING to choose our next babies name before being born. We knew we were having a girl...and she was ALL over the place in the womb. That child was flip flopping from minute one...breech one week before she was due and ultimately kicked her foot right out my vagina letting us all know, SHE WAS ON HER WAY!!! Without further details than that, she was delivered emergency C-section declaring her stubbornness and determination to do things HER way. Reminded me a lot of Kathryn in The Taming of the Shrew. She was blessed two weeks after delivery with the name Kathryn BreAnne , figuring it would give her enough possible alterations of her name in future years, just in case she didn't like the name WE had chosen for her.
In working at the Veterinary Centre, I have come across some of the most adorable, unique, humorous and perfect names for dogs and cats. Our Lacey was named such because of how she liked to chew shoe'laces' when she was a puppy. I've asked a few clients the origin of their pets name and most have been very inventive and clever...but some have been FUNNY...
Example: ?What do you get when you breed a bull dog and a shih tzu??? Thus named 'bull ****'. I know that's not the best example, but it made me split a gut....
Some of my other favorites....Moe Joe, Mercedes Beemer and Dodge, Romeo & Juliet, Larry Curly & Moe, Pablo Picasso, Leonard Michelangelo Donetello & Rafael, Mr Chips, Fluff -n- Stuff, Zsa Zsa, Oreo Doublestuff, Stoned, Mischief, Rhett & Scarlett and Skittles & Snickers.
Of course, there are the typical Muffin, Princess, Pumpkin etc for cats...and then the 'not so original' Rosco, Mutt and Jeff, Chloe, Ginger, Rover for dogs... But I have really enjoyed the one's that set me back on my heels just a little and REALLY love the one's that just bring out a 'good ole belly laugh' from me. (whether appropriate or not, I laughed at the first one).
I've decided that if I were to ever have the chance to name two dogs, I would bestow upon them the names of Speedy Gonzales and Cousin Slow Poke!!! I love those names...funny to me. Maybe I will get two fish and name them that...
Just my thoughts on names....


Hard weekend. I worked all week but I'm having a hard time emotionally with my resolve of 'moving on'. I'm wanting nothing more than to send an email.
But I started 'cold turkey' last Sunday night and have not broken my resolve to 'move on', no matter how painful and how hard it has been.
One week down....forever still to go.

No comments: