Sunday, May 29, 2011

'What E're Thou Art, Act Well Thy Part'

So, who am I???
In trying to 'Act Well Thy Part' I need to first figure out the 'What E're Thou Art' part.
January 10th, 1960, I was born to Dr. Von and Sheila Packard, becoming their 6th of twelve children. I also became the sibling to Sheila, Von, Mark, Garth and Paul. I remain in this role, but have added a few more to my identity.
At age 11, I started working for my dad in his dental office. At that time, I became the 'boss's daughter' first, then I was known as the second chair side assistant. This continued until I was age 16, at which time I became known more as 'Paul's sister', or 'President Packard's daughter' as my dad was called to be in the mission presidency.
At age 18, when I graduated from high school, I went off to college where I became 'Cheryl's roommate'. Cheryl was beautiful and I was always noticed AFTER she was, if I was noticed at all. But that only lasted for a year when I then became known as 'the mission president's daughter'. Yes, I was a full time missionary, but I was first and foremost the 'president's daughter', when my father was called as the Mission President over the Chile Santiago North Mission. That 'part' was one of my most difficult roles I had to play. I didn't WANT to be the mission president's daughter...I just wanted to be a missionary and left alone. But that never happened.
When I came home off my mission, I moved in with two of my already established cousins and was known as 'one of the Packard girls', as there were quite a few of us in the apartment complex. Within 2 years, I became Mrs. Del Lott, a wife and remained that role until I then became a mother; Michael's mother first - then Jordan, Kylie and Kathryn's mother. With that role, I have worn many different 'hats'...chef, nurse, counselor, chauffeur, maid, therapist, cheerleader, teacher, friend and MOM. This was all while still being wife, companion, lover, comedian, bread winner, best possible example, favorite aunt, sister, daughter....when at my other job, I was the 'cousin of the boss' and 'niece of the owner'.
So, now that I have established who I have been in the past...
WHO AM I NOW????
I still carry the 'title' of several of the 'parts'...some in which I am taking a more active role, others of which are on the back burner, but I still remain involved in each and every role. But in order to 'act well my part', I have to know who I am...or who I want to be. I don't think, through any period of my life, I have figured out who I am outside of being connected with someone else. I have always been someone else's someone. I've never been...just....Marlys.
So...if there were no Del..no Jordan, no Kylie, no Kathryn and no church, who would I be???
Who do I represent???
What do I represent???
It's impossible to imagine because I am who I am because of each and every one of those people. I AM Del's wife...I AM Jordan, Kylie and Kathryn's mother. I AM the daughter of Von and Sheila Packard and the sibling to Sheila, Von, Mark, Garth, Paul, Phil, Elaine, Rebecca, J.D., Rachel and Jennifer. I am a niece, a cousin, a friend, an employee, a member of a ward, a member of a community, a mother in law, a daughter in law and a grandma.
I DO belong to other people.
Because I AM a Daughter of God.
Thus...
'What E're Thou Art, Act Well Thy Part'.

No comments: