Tuesday, January 22, 2013

'Humpty Dumpty Sat on a Wall'

My daddy 'had a great fall' today.
Apparently, he spent the morning with my two sisters, Sheila and Becca, when they went over to dad's to visit and play games.  Then, when they left, he told mom he needed to go take something out to the garage.  She told him not to, but he did anyways, and after a few minutes, when he hadn't come back in the house, she went out to check on him.  She found him unconscious, at the bottom of the garage stairs, lying in a puddle of blood.
She called Becca and then 911.  Becca and Sheila got there just after the ambulance and paramedics arrived and heard them say that the situation 'did not look good' as they called in to see where they needed to transport a 'trauma patient'.  I guess that if a patient is unconscious when they leave the scene, they are taken to a trauma hospital - so they transported daddy to Murray, which is on the other side of the point of the mountain.  He didn't regain consciousness until much later.  This was about the time Becca called me and gave me THAT much information.
I didn't hold it together quite as well as I had hoped I would.  I panicked a little, called Elaine and let her know, and then we had a waiting game the rest of the day waiting for information to come in from Utah.
As the updates trickled in from different siblings, it was established that daddy had a severe skull fracture/concussion, a broken jaw and several broken ribs.  The bleeding was coming from his right ear and there was slight hearing loss due to swelling and pressure on the brain.  Because daddy had taken some significant pain medication in the morning (hydrocodone) due to previous discomforts, he was not feeling the obvious pain he should have been experiencing, and so was giving the doctors a false sense of comfort.  He was wanting to sleep, keep his eyes closed, and even when the doctors went to check him for something, he vomited all over, causing himself embarrassment, all signs of a serious head injury.  In order to assess the seriousness and severity of the head injury, they will be doing more xrays tomorrow - cat scan and or MRI, and then possible consider transferring him to re-hab facility closer to home.  My mother was NOT thrilled about that option, complaining that she would prefer to have him home for her to take care of him.  But my sisters had to gently remind her that she was in NO position to walk/carry him to the bathroom, assist him in anything much more than bringing him food and that it would be best for him to have the constant medical care he was going to need to completely and fully recover.  Of course, this is all preliminary; we don't know if or when he will be in any position to leave to go anywhere.
Becca has been able to at least, reassure me that she thinks his 'passing' is not in the near future, unless something takes a terrible turn for the worse; a brain bleed, pneumonia or improper healing.  There could be a possibility of a few other things, factoring in daddy's age and previous ailments and conditions, but as it stands at the immediate moment, he's in for a LONG process of healing and re-hab.
But 'healing' is much better than the alternative!!!  In today's drama, I was made aware that I am in no way, shape or form, ready for the possibility of my father or mothers passing.  Just not ready...ever.  I talked to them just this morning...and then last Saturday night...and then the few days before that...and I'm just not ready.  Am I supposed to be?  How do I DO that?  I don't know how to DO that.  So, I'm not.

The job situation:
The dr's office where I interviewed has decided that they are not going to hire right now, waiting for Leanne (LDS girl) to have her baby and then come back in 6 weeks, at which time, if they are still wanting to make the changes they have expressed, they will call me.  If I do not have another job, I will accept their offer and go to work for them.
Of course, Del feels the financial crunch and having not known that I was going to quit so abruptly without another job, he paid extra,  in advance, several of our monthly bills.  Without my income to cover those payments, we're going to have a 'cash crunch'.  And because the dr's office MAY decide to do something differently, I can't take the chance that in 6 weeks, they will need me at all.
I really felt that job would work out...so I've been questioning some things, like 'what is Heavenly Father trying to teach me..?  Faith?  Patience?'  Not sure...But in the meantime, yesterday, I filled out an application for a job at the PointBank office right here in Aubrey.  I've never worked in a bank, but I thought I would give it a shot.  The HR manager called me today, right before Becca called and said that they were interested, felt I had the qualifications desirable in the job and asked if I would take one more step before interviewing; that being, take a personality survey he would email to me, to see if my personality would be compatible with the office atmosphere already there.  I did that tonight and sent it.  I should hear back from him tomorrow.
The pay is not as good as the dr's office, but it's 4 minutes away and can eventually be the same pay I would START with at the dr's office.  Of course, Del and I are weighing our options...
Emotional roller coaster day....big sighs....

No comments: