Monday, January 28, 2013

Temple Night

Saturday night was our ward temple night and we invited Jordan and Lexi to go with us.  I was glad we did.  It was nice to have them.
Several times during the session, my thoughts drifted to my father, who almost more than anything, loved being in the temple. It crossed my mind that he will most likely, never attend the temple again.  That brought tears to my eyes.
After the session, I had a short visit with Uncle Bob, who is my daddy's brother.  In conversation with him , I was noticing the same lack of urgency, sadness or level of despair I was feeling in discussing the subject of my father.  At first, I was a little put off, sensing that both he and Aunt Talmage were just a little too 'non-chalant' for my liking, and I wanted them to at least, cry, or something.  But instead, they were so matter of fact, and to their temple business as usual.
The four of us went to Golden Corral for dinner and then a nice drive home.
It wasn't until I got home and was winding down for the night that the conversation with Uncle Bob and Aunt Talmage came back to my mind.  Why weren't they alarmed? Panicked?  Sad?  Trying to figure out what to do in this most despairing of situations?
Because they understand, more than I, that this isn't a sad thing.  Daddy is ready, at any given time, to return to his Father in Heaven.  It's the plan.  It's why daddy came to earth in the first place.  Daddy is not sad....daddy is not panicked...and daddy is not in despair.  Daddy is ready, whenever the Lord says it's time to go.
It's ME who has to get ready.  And I'll be honest, I'm not ready.
Funny thing though...that's not going to matter when it happens.
I don't like that.  You would think that MY feelings would be high up on the list of things to consider when deciding to call my daddy 'home'.
You would think.

No comments: