Saturday, March 14, 2009

Water from the Tap


It's been almost two years since I experienced the simple pleasure of drinking cold water straight from the tap. And the other picture?? That's called a mountain - with snow on it even. You won't find one of those in Texas, which should be your first clue that I'm not there..in Texas I mean. I'm in Utah, and that mountain is right outside my brothers back yard...and it's beautiful! The whole state is beautiful...and the water is cold and fresh and it's 50' degrees outside - and feels wonderful.
Okay, can you tell that I'm loving where I am?? Kathryn and I left Thursday afternoon and drove here in record time...we loved the trip. Kathryn drove a few times; once through a snow storm in Albuquerque and the other was a rain storm in Gallup New Mexico. No offense to anyone out there, but New Mexico has got to be the most God forsaken place on the planet. I'm not sure of it's purpose on the earth except to give us a place to gas up on our way to Utah! And to keep me awake, which I had to do while Kathryn was driving. She had not a concern in the world while I sat in the passenger seat completely white knuckled and in a full fledged cold sweat. I could read the small print on the side of each 18 wheeler we passed but only because me eyes were about coming out of their sockets. 'Hazardous Road Conditions' needed translating for Kathryn and she missed every 'lane merging' sign posted where there was continual road work going on. Before I ended up in a 'full arrest' heart attack, I told her to pull over so I could drive the rest of the way. The 21 hour trip took us just over 18 hours; I guess I was anxious to get here.
The first day has been spent with my oldest brother Von getting my computer hooked up to wireless etc. and errand running with my sister in law Ann. Kathryn went to Lindon, our stomping grounds and spent the day with her best friend Nicole (CoCo) Packer and a boy she had a crush on growing up. He, of course, is no longer the blond haired gorgeous boy she remembered, but more brown haired, not as cute as she had envisioned and she carried on most of the conversation for the two hours she was with him. She was soooo disappointed, I think hoping for some 'love connection', but realized he's still the good friend that she texts for hours on end each day and throughout the WHOLE trip. So, they are back together tonight hanging out at the park and just talking like they used to when they were younger. She had a GREAT time with CoCo and they have a double date planned for later next week.
So, thus far, it has been a real fun time for Kathryn, which is exactly why I am here. This trip is for her, but I get some side benefits also - seeing and being with family not seen in years. Tomorrow, I will get to see my parents and sisters and their families. Should be a great week.
I will be taking more pictures and posting as the week goes on.
Seems Del won't have time to miss us or wish we were there...I guess Kylie has spent a lot of time with him - going to the movies, watching t.v., making food and going grocery shopping. I doubt he'll notice if Kathryn and I choose to stay in Utah...

1 comment:

Kylie C. said...

Utah is a yucky place. If you ever choose to stay, don't expect to see any grandchildren because I will not go to Utah and Mike will only go on a guys trip (which won't be happening anymore).