Saturday, April 7, 2012

'I Just Can't Say That'

There's a proper word for a female dog.
It's used by Veterinarians, breeders and vet techs.
It's used in my office.
But it's also used by foul mouthed, vulgar teenagers and angry people who have no respect for women. I've been called one before...and on occasion, I have rudely called a woman the name also. Not recently, mind you, but too recent to be appropriate.
In the past month, our office has been involved in the breeding, or results of breeding female dogs for the benefit of selling the offspring....so the word has been flying around the office as if it were the halls of the local high school! And I cringe. This has been the first time that I have EVER heard the word used in a 'professional' setting...an 'appropriate' setting. And it's used A LOT...frequently - between doctors - with clients - between techs- and with breeders.
But I can't say it. I get all tongue tied and stumble all over the word. I've never heard or said the word without it being done in anger. For some reason, being angry seems to justify the using of the word 'in vain'. Now, how does THAT make sense???!!!
In my conversation with a breeder yesterday, I was stumbling all over the word. I avoided the word at all cost. The breeder recognized my discomfort and jokingly said, 'It's okay to say it just this once.' Can you imagine being given permission to swear??? I've sworn before - a lot. I'm not proud of it...but I've never really found it a big deal before either...until now.
I quietly replied, 'I just can't say that.'
I guess it's me trying to be more lady-like...more refined...more like...I know who's daughter I am...who's wife I am...who's mother I am...who I am. And I don't swear anymore...in any way, shape or form.

No comments: