Saturday, April 14, 2012

It Started a LONG Time Ago






It's a lot funnier if you know the history behind these 'putting things together' projects for these two.
There is no one on this planet more impatient than Del....except for Jordan.
And they're equal in being stubborn.
The combination generally makes for non compatible working conditions, which has been the case since Jordan was little.
Butt heads???
I think Jordan was around age 2...maybe three the first time I saw them go at it.
Jordan was born a cowboy...right from the start...his first word horsey...had a hat, a gun, the boots and the rope. Del is an Idaho farm/cowboy...the horse, the hat, the gun, the boots and the rope. Del liked to wear his hat a certain way, so when he put a cowboy hat on Jordan for the first time, Jordan put it on different. Del changed it. Jordan changed it back..back and forth and then Jordan threw a fit. He won.
Happened a few more times growing up...but then when Jordan was...hm, probably 8, Kylie 7 and Kathryn 3, our family went camping at Scout Mountain. It was a favorite activity for our family...or I should say...the REST of the family. I've never been a real camper.
Anyways....we video taped that whole overnight trip; from arrival to leaving...and we've laughed for years and years as we watch it now to see the personalities and attitudes of our children back then.
Kathryn...was a 3yr old in la la land...she was adorable. Loved to follow and copy cat everything Kylie did and said. She was clumsy too...fell down or tripped every other step. Oblivious to most things around her but very pleasant and happy. Her talking was soooo cute. Sweet little voice etc.
Kylie...was a stinker, especially to Kathryn. She mothered her in everything - was a little boss -a -bit and snippy snap. And she had a real mean streak to her. She watches the video now and is so embarrassed and what a little sneak she was. (know it all).
Jordan...explorer...wanted to try everything...learn everything...help...just along for the ride and fun. But he liked doing or showing what he knew how to do. Not a lot of common sense involved in anything but he wanted to please his dad. It was during this age that i started to see a LOT of Jordan's personality...a wry wit like mine...funny kid.
So...my favorite part of the video is Jordan and Del putting up the tent together. Just the dialogue between the two keeps me in stitches. Arguing which way to face the tent opening...arguing which side goes up first....how to put the stakes in the ground, with the end result being a beautifully and perfectly built tent. Of course, Jordan walks over to me, who is still filming the whole episode and begins to mutter the following under his breath....'yeah, he just stands around looking busy while I do everything' and 'if he would just listen to me we could have been done HOURS ago'...(it took them 10 minutes).
The video continues like this the whole time...the two of them while building a fire, making sticks for samores...etcetc...

Now...years later...they have had a few more opportunities where 'Mr. Know it All who NEVER passes up a teaching moment' Del and 'I'm tired of you always trying to make me look like I don't know anything but I do know everything' Jordan, have had to work together on something that requires actually getting along. About 9 years ago, they took on the project of making me a set of bookshelves for my home. They are beautiful and even more appreciated by me because I know and realize that one, or even both of them, came near death at more than one time during that process. They built me a puzzle/game table....and it's gorgeous. Even though it was done secretly, I found out later that there were some pretty heated moments...
And we have little moments like last week, the putting together of the lawn mower...and today, the using of Kylie's new Kirby vacuum/rug cleaner to do our carpets. The dialogue during these moments is hilarious to me...to listen to these two grown men who don't have an ounce of patience between them...
I just stepped aside...and laughed as Lacey watched them while sprawled out on the carpet they would soon be cleaning. I just have to let them work it out...
The last thing they need at that moment is a third person who actually DOES know most everything, to butt in and make them look bad.
So I just stay quiet.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Oh my gosh. This totally made me laugh. I NEVER knew they butted heads like that! How FUNNY! What a fun new perspective on some of my favorite people. :)