Sunday, April 8, 2012

Then What Should I Pack???

A year ago, my response to 'You can't take it with you' would have been, 'Then I don't want to go.' But of course, I do. I just have to re think my priorities and desires.
So I can't take my earthly treasures???
Then what WILL I take???
Whatever it is, it has to fit between my two ears and inside my heart. That's not a lot of space, so I better make it worth the effort of learning.
The Lord has blessed each of us with talents..I've thought a lot about what He wants me doing with those talents because at some point, He is going to ask me what I've done with them and how I can use them to help build his kingdom.
Am I wasting them away? Am I learning all I can in the areas of service, intelligence and God-like qualities that I will be able to help build my own kingdom in the next life??
Thank heavens I am married to Del!! But I'm not going to be able to hold on to his shirt tails forever....at some point, the Lord is going to expect me to step up and start using some of the 'smarts' he's given ME, not Del.
So, it's time to start 'packing' my eternal suitcases...filling them with what I CAN take....
compassion, humor, warmth, testimony, love for children, music, missionary work, love of the scriptures, desire for all things good, open communication with the Father and his Son, an obedient heart, clear mind, healthy body, hard work ethics, service and righteous desires.
Of course, the list continues and the process is eternal...But I figure the process has started and I hopefully have some time to work on all of it with the remaining years the Lord will keep me here on earth. I'm not ready to go and He's certainly not ready for me yet, so I get to continue enjoying the 'learning of all things eternal' so that when the time DOES come, I will be ready, with suitcases packed full of what I can contribute to the building of His eternal kingdom.
And hopefully, those same eternal truths will assist both Del and me in the building of our own eternal world. It will be then, that I am truly grateful Del is my companion as his love of building will be most useful and his desire for exactness will be most appreciated.
Remind me though, to pack a measuring tape, pencil and patience.
Del is, after all, a perfectionist.
Thankfully, we'll have all eternity to work on it.
Right?

No comments: