Thursday, June 23, 2011

Crowned Royalty - King Jimmer







About three months ago, after the NCAA basketball season, I was about the only person around who remained a loyal and devoted Jimmer Fredette fan. Everyone else was pretty much 'Jimmered out'.
In talking of the upcoming NBA draft, I will admit, I was probably a little TOO Jimmer enthusiastic, proclaiming adamantly that he would be drafted in the top three. Why not? After all, he had won just about every NCAA award there was, including the 2011 National Player of the Year and he was on EVERY ESPN headline news report and talked about in every sports circle in the nation, if not the world. EVERYONE knew who Jimmer Fredette was and is....
My son in law Mike and my nephew Sean, both mouthy little snot nosed sports know- it- alls (and that is said with the utmost amount of love and respect for their knowledge of every thing played with a ball), claimed that this crazy old broad was nuts...that Jimmer would be lucky to go in the top 20, if in the first round at all. I was MAD - hopping MAD....but I was also afraid they might know a little more than my devoted BYU heart knew about the NBA draft. All i knew was that Jimmer was good. I thought so, obviously the nation thought so, and so did a few other people in the sports world think so...but I didn't know the draft.
So, the bet was made. I played it safe, betting that Jimmer would go in the top 10. If I was wrong, and he went after, I would have to buy the two 'smart mouthed show off's' dinner of their choice. But, if by some miracle 'of the heart' and Jimmer was taken in the top 10, I would be eating lobster with two of my favorite men.
Can you guess???? CAN YOU GUESS!!!????
Can you say 'lobster dipped in dripping butter on Friday night?'
In tonight's 2011 NBA draft, Mr. Jimmer Fredette was taken #10 by the Sacramento Kings!!!!!
Jimmer was finally crowned royalty...a King, in every sense of the word.!!!!!
And I screamed like none other and jumped around like a silly school girl in front of my little 19 inch t.v.!!!! I couldn't be happier!!!!
So, my new favorite team for the upcoming NBA season will be, of course, the Sacramento Kings. A heartfelt 'good luck' to Jimmer and congratulations to him and his family for all their hopes and dreams finally coming true.
Thanks Jimmer... for making us loyal and devoted BYU fans proud...
I'll think of you as I enjoy my Friday night dates and my delicious lobster!!!
I owe you one....

No comments: