Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Glimpse of My Near Future?

Beautiful Sabbath day. I woke up around 8:00 and did some reading before deciding to watch a talk on KBYU. Del was in his office reading and doing some church stuff on the computer before he came in and joined me in listening to another good talk. Then I went in to shower to get ready for church.
About 20 minutes later, I went in to Del's office to find him slightly slumped over at his computer. He wasn't feeling well. I asked him about it and he kind of brushed me off as he went in to our bathroom. I went in to our bedroom but could see him from our bedroom, struggling at his bathroom sink as he was attempting to shave. He was holding himself up against the bathroom cupboard but he stumbled and faltered as he turned towards the shower to turn the water on. His legs wobbled under his weight and his knees buckled from under him...he caught himself with the door and he held himself up until he could make it back to the bathroom sink. He began to tremble. I immediately went to him and helped him to our bed.
He was chilling...pale...shaking...I helped him into bed and placed another large blanket on him as I asked him if he wanted a blessing. He said 'yes'. I knew it was serious.
I called our home teacher Scott Chappell and my nephew Sean. Both arrived within 15 minutes. I was sitting on one of the couches across from Sean and his wife Becky and then Scott Chappell sat in a chair next to Del. Del had been explaining to Sean and Becky how he had been feeling when Scott arrived, so when Scott sat down next to Del, I wondered where Del would 'pick up' his account of his health. It was at this time that he turned to Scott and said the following...some words are exact..." I want you to think carefully about what I'm going to tell you and try to really be in tune with what the spirit wants you to say....I feel like my body is shutting down...like my organs are dying...slowing stopping their functions. I'm going numb..can't move my legs and limbs...etc" and then he said a few more things that I can't remember details because I had basically gone numb myself. Del had said none of this to me. I was in shock. I teared up and tried to turn my head away so as not to show the others my tears and fear. But Becky had noticed..she came over and sat by me, taking my hands in hers and putting her comforting arm around me.
I could feel my heart slowly calming as I continued to take in the scene that was before me. I remember thinking...'this will be my near future' and at first, it stopped my beating heart. But then I calmed.
Sean placed the oil and then Scott pronounced the blessing. Del was blessed with the sufficient health and strength to accomplish all he needed to. I remember thinking that the emphasis was on the word 'needed' and not 'wanted' to accomplish. I also remember thinking that the 'time' would be near even though Del still had things to accomplish; definition of 'near' never being clear. I cried silent tears but remained calm.
Sean could see I was unnerved...and so before leaving, he lovingly asked if I too, needed a blessing. Just like his father...he was aware I had a spiritual need too. I accepted and gratefully listened to his sweet words as he pronounced a blessing of peace and comfort on me...cautioning me to invite the spirit into my life so that I could be a spiritual force in our home and in knowing how to deal with Del's health; that I could be a spiritual example to my children...and accept the love of family and ward members that were here for me. I was much comforted from his sweet words. After some final arrangements for the sacrament to be brought in and dinner later, they all left to go to church.
Del and I talked a little....I asked him what his impressions had been. He expressed that he felt he still had some time to accomplish some things he needed to do...and that he was glad because he felt he had 'much he still wanted to do'. The thoughts of 'wants and needs' went through my mind again but I kept them quietly to myself. He asked my thoughts and I only expressed that although I felt it might actually be sooner than later, I was calm and felt very comforted by the words of Sean's blessing...and that I was very much relieved that we were currently doing some things we needed to be doing in our lives.
We laughed a little about where Del would want to be buried...me wanting him to wait to die until AFTER our planned cruise in September and where we would have the funeral so the least amount of people would have to travel. He jokingly cautioned me to not run too quickly to the filing cabinet looking for his life insurance policy because I would have to go through different procedures now with his new job. We tried to keep it light. Then he rested for an hour or so.
It's now just after 3:00. The sacrament will be coming shortly. Del has been trying to get up and around but he's slow. He did drink some water and stopped fasting by eating some grapes and now is on the couch eating some 'smoothie' from the freezer. I am pensive...quiet.
I think it's my turn to go lie down. My eyes are weary.
I'll continue some thoughts later...

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Oh my goodness. I feel at a total loss for words. Other than to let you both know how much I love you and that you will be in our prayers. I'm glad I get to see you soon. Hugs and Kisses.

Dave and Loralee said...

I hope you know how much you and Uncle Del and your family are loved, thought of, and prayed for. Our prayers will continue. love you so much!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry! You are in our family prayers and please know that even though we are hundreds of miles away we still think about your family and pray for you. You are SO loved. I'm so grateful for the power of the priesthood and the peace that it can bring.